Subject: [Leica] Going to Berlin
From: douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas M. Sharp)
Date: Wed Jan 12 13:57:48 2005

Chris,
You must visit the Reichstag and go up into the dome on the roof, if you're
lucky you won't have to queue for more than 20 minutes, the whole of the
surrounding area (Regierungsviertel) has some quite amazing modern
architecture
spanning a bend in the river. There's also the "Bundespressestrand", a weird
and
wonderful beach cafe, just round the corner. Don't forget the Brandenburger
Tor,
but don't be surprised if you find it smaller than you thought. Have
afternoon
tea at the Hotel Adlon (expensive but good). A lot of the best reasonably
priced
restaurants are out of the centre and have heated outside seating too. Try
Charlottenburg, out of the S-bahn station, along Stuttgarter Strasse, at the
end
of the street are a couple of very good restaurant/Bistros with excellent
food.
There's a wonderful Leica (and everything else photographic) just off
Kurf?rstendamm, corner of Uhland Stra?e, after about 25 meters Grolmanstra?e
branches off to the left you can't miss Foto W?stefeldt, excellent quality
used
stuff and lots of obscure cameras from other makers.
Worth a visit is the Hackeschen H?fen in what used to be East Berlin. Also
the
Gendarmenmarkt and environs, not far from there is the "Museumsinsel" with
loads
of museums and galleries, the best IMO is the Pergamon Museum packed full
with
Greek Temples and similar. Just outside is a decent flea market with a lot
of
art, militaria and book stalls.
Don't know how old the children are but the Zoo is always worth a visit.
The best thing is to get a ticket for S-bahn and bus for a few days, you can
get
family deals too, which allows you to get on and off when and wherever you
like.