Subject: [Leica] subway photography - London
From: r.s.taylor at comcast.net (Richard S. Taylor)
Date: Sun Jan 9 07:36:55 2005

Feli - I'd be very surprised if they were tube cameras, and, if they
were, they would most likely use Vidicon or Plumbicon tubes which are
much less susceptible to damage than the cameras you most likely
worked with.

Those older Orthicon cameras would burn-in an image even if left
staring at a normally lighted set.  A flash bulb in the lens? -
forget it!  Change the tube. De-boning was too good for anyone who
did it.

The rules was to keep the camera moving when not actually on the air.
Conscientious cameramen would immediately start moving their camera
in small circles as soon as their red light went off.

I suspect the no-flash rule had more to do with preventing temporary
blindness in the cameras and train drivers.

>On Jan 8, 2005, at 12:17 PM, Peter Dzwig wrote:
>

>>A few years back there were notices around on the Tube saying that
>>flash photography interfered was banned for reasons of security. It
>>appears that the flash can damage the closed circuit TV cameras
>>that are all over the place. It appears to have little to do with
>>rights per se.
>
>Interesting. I wonder if those were tube cameras. When I was in high
>school my TV class teacher threatened to de-bone
>anyone like chicken, who pointed a studio camera directly at one of
>the hot lights. Tube cameras are sensitive to very
>bright lights,  CCD based systems are a lot more rugged.

(snip)
--
Regards,

Dick
Boston MA

Message from images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] subway photography - London)
Message from pdzwig at summaventures.com (Peter Dzwig) ([Leica] subway photography - London)
Message from feli2 at earthlink.net (Feli di Giorgio) ([Leica] subway photography - London)