Subject: [Leica] B&W Mag This Month
From: rpalmier at depaul.edu (Bob Palmieri)
Date: Sun Jan 9 04:33:48 2005

Folks -

Picked up the current issue of B&W Magazine (the photo collectors'
monthly) the other day and was pleased to see a piece on longtime
(although not exclusive) Leica shooter Art Shay.  I was also happy that
on page 68 is a very good (although small) reproduction of a photo I
bought last year and have referred to on this forum once or twice (the
last time was regarding Super XX film, I think.)  It's one of my
favorite street shots ever, and incidentally flies gently in the face
of Mike Johnston's statement to the effect that no good street shots
are taken from cars.

It's dated 1961 in the magazine caption, although I believe the actual
date is around 1950. Although the beautiful grain structure and
sharpness aren't really visible in the small repro (the print I have is
24 inches across) the tonal values are well represented and the
composition comes across well. (Tech specs Leica II (D) w/ 35mm 2.8
Biogon - 1/60th @ 5.6 Super XX in Harvey's 777) The shots of Hef
w/bunnies and the Rat Pack ain't bad either.

Really, for me Art's stuff defines the kind of shooting style that
classic 35mm B&W is about.  Although that Chelsea Market Oly E-Volt
snap of BD's last week is lookin' pretty good... maybe this digi thing
is here to stay...

Bob Palmieri