Subject: [Leica] New Yorker - Now literalism
From: cmbrow at wm.edu (Chandos Michael Brown)
Date: Wed Dec 15 10:17:14 2004

What a treat to see this marvelous image, executed with a virtually
antique lens (that should cause those fetishists among us who grasp at
the latest and best--to make us better photographers) to blush with
shame; and what a refreshing break from the flood of utterly banal
images that clog this list and others, among which, alas, I must include
many of my own.

It's humbling, damn it.  In the now several years that I've participated
in the LUG, I haven't seen even a handful of images that I could imagine
on my wall (and to put this in some perspective, I haven't hung *any* of
my own in the house); thanks, BD, and I share your sense of the
relationship between "ambivalence" and aesthetic 'texture' (for want of
a better term), though I should say that an "ambiguous" image provokes
an "ambivalent" response, and that the uncertainty of this response
actuates precisely the 'pause' that you describe.  The late William
Empson wrote an interesting book many years ago, -Seven Types of
Ambiguity-, that speaks well to the aesthetic and theoretical issues
that your comments raise, though he is primarily concerned with
literature.

Cheers!

Chandos