Subject: [Leica] New Yorker - Now literalism
From: SonC at aol.com (SonC@aol.com)
Date: Wed Dec 15 09:33:39 2004

Madison:   http://www.leica-gallery.net/wccjr/image-46065.html

In  a message dated 12/15/2004 11:30:33 A.M. Central Standard Time,
bdcolen@MIT.EDU  writes:
Richard Taylor observed that the Gladwell New Yorker article while
interesting,
had nothing to tell us about "Leica photography" because, after  all, unless
photo is an abstract, we can look at it and instantly know what  it's about
and
what's going on...Which leads me to  observe....
-------

Ah, but let's here it for the literal minded!
Richard, surely you aren't suggesting that photographs of people and
situations
- 1/2 to 1/8000th of a second slices of reality - can't be  interpreted many
different ways by many different observers? We all bring to  our observation
of
every photograph our entire life experience - and all our  life experiences
are
different. A group of us can look at the same photo and  come up with either
slightly, or widely varying interpretations of the scene  before us. Last
spring
at the end of each week's class I'd show my students a  photograph and ask
they
to write the first 250 words of a short story based  on what they saw - the
variation in what they came up with was astounding.  Granted, they were
reaching, but go to Bill Clough's PAW - I believe for '03,  but it might be
'02,
to see Madison.

The bottom line for me is that  without ambivalence, it's the incredibly rare
street photo or public scene -  non-news photo - that's worth the time it
takes
to even look at it.

B.  D.

Regards,
Sonny
http://www.sonc.com
Natchitoches,  Louisiana
Oldest continuous settlement in La Louisiane
?galit?, libert?,  crawfish

Replies: Reply from daniel.ridings at edd.uio.no (Daniel Ridings) ([Leica] New Yorker - Now literalism)
Reply from phong at doan-ltd.com (Phong) ([Leica] New Yorker - Now literalism)
Reply from raimo.m.korhonen at uusikaupunki.fi (Raimo K) ([Leica] New Yorker - Now literalism)