Subject: [Leica] Printer experiences of the LUG
From: abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge)
Date: Sun Dec 12 10:44:40 2004

Well I have an Epson 2200. I like it a lot but to get it to make
truely fine black and white I had to buy the Image Print RIP. Now it
makes fabulous black and white (and color) prints. I particularly like
the look of Epson's Enhanced Matte paper. I've tried a few of the
others and don't feel the blacks are what they should be with those.

The only downside of the printer is that you have to change from Photo
to Matte blacks and the Mac makes this ugly. With the RIP I don't have
to do that it lets me switch the cartridges without changing drivers.
The Image Print RIP really does have its act together with color
management.

Someone asked about the Epson 4000 in another message. It appears to
be a very nice printer but they are only sold through their
professional imaging dealers and the cost of the Image Print RIP goes
up vastly (a pricing model that makes me VERY grumpy.) I think it's
characteristics are very close to the 2200. It holds both versions of
black ink which is a Big Deal on the Mac.

I have a wall of prints - both silver and inkjet.   I'm actually
liking the inkjet prints best at this point.

Adam