Subject: [Leica] CM working space for B/W
From: daniel.ridings at edd.uio.no (Daniel Ridings)
Date: Wed Dec 1 02:36:44 2004

> Daniel - I might have been unclear - the "Printer" i refer to is the
> offsett
> printing company I use for printing books not my desktop printer - I need
> his profile in order to match what i see on screen with what I can expect
> in
> the finished book.

Ruben, that's where my confusion about the CM workflow comes in.

1) You have a working space (Let's say Adobe RGB 1998)
2) You have a printer (with their own profile)

I thought the whole point of CM was that: you use your working space on
your calibrated screen but when you want to output on something else, then
you use another profile. But if you use another profile on your calibrated
screen other than your usual working profile, then the colors will look
different (because the other profile was intended for printing, not
viewing on your screen).

So if you change the way things look on your screen, it will come out
wrong on the printer (because you have adjusted according to the view on
your screen, but your screen is using a profile for a printer).

I know you print (in books) a lot of delicate stuff where color is very
critical, so I know I'm just misunderstanding this somewhere along the
line.

Daniel

Message from ruben at rhodos.dk (Ruben) ([Leica] CM working space for B/W)
Message from daniel.ridings at edd.uio.no (Daniel Ridings) ([Leica] CM working space for B/W)