Subject: [Leica] Art of Noise...
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Mon Nov 15 08:12:17 2004

Daniel ROCHA offered:
Subject: RE: [Leica] Art of Noise...
>> sounds like a canon shattering the silence, <<<<<<<

Daniel,
I assume Daniel, the above is your comment?

It's not so much the noise of the camera, it's learning when to shoot while
the peripheral noise is higher. Noise from a Leica M is negligible even
during a concert if you know the music being played and you trip the shutter
when the loudest banging of the drums or blaring of the horns occur.

Outside on the street it's far more important to understand your own body
language during shooting without being detected than "noise from a Leica."

Indoors if you are aware of noise in the area one can go about shooting with
impunity. I mean even in an operating room during what we might call, "
tense moments that sound silent" there's always enough "room" noise" to
muffle a Leica M shutter going... "click!" Besides people concentrating on
what's before them are not aware of most sounds due to the concentration in
their work.

And one learns quickly after shooting in an OR for 6 hours or more to find
out when it's over the surgeon says, "I didn't even know you were there with
all those cameras!" :-)  Then you know they didn't hear any sound of a
camera. :-)

Besides the photographer holding the camera to his/her eye is more aware of
the sound than the audience or whomever is around at the time. Why? Well the
camera is about as close as it can get to your ears when at your eye, you
trip the shutter, therefore you are "listening for the shutter sound
unconsciously" even though you are concentrating on your subject.

So if you're having thoughts of what to purchase, buy a leica M of some
sort, get over the noise thing and go take pictures while having fun without
any angst of noise. ;-)

ted