Subject: [Leica] Non-Indo-European European languages
From: jorg.willems at pp.inet.fi (Jorg Willems)
Date: Thu Nov 11 22:26:38 2004

The Latvian language does not belong to the Finno-Ugric languages but
belongs to the Baltic branch of the Indo-European languages.  There is,
though, a minority in Latvia called Livonians (not more than 300 people)
that speak Livonian and that is a Finno-Ugric language.
(http://www.flw.com/languages/livonian.htm)

Linguists only agree that the Finno-Ugric languages most probaly originate
in the Ural.  For those of you who want to learn more go to
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Acropolis/3093/finnugor.html

Mongolian languages are a subdivision of the Altaic languages which in turn
is a subfamily of the Ural-Altaic languages, although many scholars consider
Altaic an independent linguistic family.

J?rg