Subject: [Leica] Non-Indo-European European languages
From: msmall at aya.yale.edu (Marc James Small <)
Date: Thu Nov 11 16:27:21 2004

At 05:24 AM 11/10/04 +0100, Nathan Wajsman wrote:
>I believe you are correct, and that Estonian is also in that category--I
>know that the Finns and Estonians can more or less understand each
>other, so their languages must be related.

Hungarian and Turkish are loosely connected through being descended from
Mongolian.  Latvian, Estonian, and Finnish are of Finno-Uiguric orign,
closely connected to Mongolian but distinct.

Lithuanian, on the other hand, seems to be a descendant of the original,
undifferentiated, Indo-European mother tongue.  As this language originated
somewhere north of the Caspian Sea, it is not known how this language
emigrated to the Baltic coast.

Marc

msmall@infionline.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!