Subject: [Leica] how old are u - 68
From: nicholsj at edge.net (Jim Nichols)
Date: Wed Nov 10 10:09:08 2004

John,

I appreciate the response.  I don't know exactly where the "old timer"
designation begins, possibly "over 65" or "over 70", but I'll add you to
the list.  You are respondent #97, according to my count.  Through 96, the
average age was 51.2.
Your story sounds like my own.  I bought a Leica IIIa in 1952, and used it
for many years, until I was forced to wear glasses full-time.  I then tried
an Exacta and Exa with waist-level finders for a while.  Eventually, I
obtained a Pentax Spotmatic, which worked ok with glasses.  In the last
year, I have returned to my Leicas, the IIIa and a IIIf RD, and, after
applying adhesive-backed felt to the rangefinders and viewfinders to
protect my glasses, I am enjoying them again.
Although my Exacta and one of its lenses have succumbed to age, the Exa
still works great, to the limits of its shutter speed capabilities.  Do you
still have the 85mm Steinheil?  I'd love to try an 85 on the Exa.

Jim Nichols
nicholsj@edge.net