Subject: [Leica] OT:How many languages do you speak?
From: mail at gpsy.com (Karen Nakamura)
Date: Tue Nov 9 20:38:09 2004

>OOPs!  I forgot Morse, so I guess I am at 2.5 languages.

Morse is a communication medium not a language. Otherwise, we could
consider talking on the phone, chatting on ICQ,or everything else a
separate language.

I read that the reason the Japanese naval  code was broken so easily
during the Pacific War was that they used regular morse code in roman
letters rather than a more complex code that combined katakana and
kanji. The Japanese language only have 5 vowels and 13 consonants and
repeats them in regular patterns (a vowel always after one of the
consonants). So a simple cipher was easy to break.

In any case, morse code is not a language. And computer languages are
not natural human languages either.

I speak Japanese, English, and Japanese Sign Language (which is a
distinct language from spoken Japanese).

Karen

--
Karen Nakamura

Replies: Reply from daniel.ridings at edd.uio.no (Daniel Ridings) ([Leica] OT:How many languages do you speak?)