Subject: [Leica] OT:How many languages do you speak?
From: msmall at infionline.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Thu Nov 11 16:04:03 2004

At 01:21 PM 11/10/04 +0900, Karen Nakamura wrote:

>I read that the reason the Japanese naval  code was broken so easily
>during the Pacific War was that they used regular morse code in roman
>letters rather than a more complex code that combined katakana and
>kanji. The Japanese language only have 5 vowels and 13 consonants and
>repeats them in regular patterns (a vowel always after one of the
>consonants). So a simple cipher was easy to break.

Karen

Thanks for pointing out some quite relevant points.

However, the Japanese Naval Codes were quite difficult to break and only
JN-25 was broken after the war erupted, though others were broken from
documents recovered from captured Japanese headquarters as the war
progressed.  In any event, the US had not broken any Japanese Naval Codes
other than routine ones such as convoy directives and the like before 7/8
DEC 1941.

The code broken before the war broke out was the Diplomatic Code, and this
was encrypted in Japanese script.  Friedman's team had to develop a
Japanese typewriter to accomodate the decryption process.  (Friedman's
models and records were stored at the Virginia Military Institute for many
years, where I obtained access with a pass key thirty years back while
working there as a weekend guide.  Later, a Freedom-of-Information request
caused these to be recovered by the CIA where they are now hidden at
Langley beneath successive levels of security classifications.)

Marc

msmall@infionline.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!

Replies: Reply from eduardoalbesi at ciudad.com.ar (Eduardo Albesi) ([Leica] FS: Canon LTM)