Subject: [Leica] Summilux vs. Summicron
From: bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen)
Date: Mon Nov 8 19:50:26 2004

First off, Marc, while I like the E-1, I wouldn't lose a nanosecond's
sleep if digital turned out to be the passing fancy, or whatever it is
some of you seem to believe it is. I love film, love my Ms. Just like
the people who loved their daguerreotypes loved those plates, and just
like the speed graphic shooters loved their film holders.

But as much as I hate to burst your bubble, film is indeed dying. Tell
the folks at Ilford and Kodak that film isn't dying. Of course there are
sixteen trillion film cameras out there. But that has nothing to do with
whether film is dying. I'm sure you'll go on shooting film until the day
you die, but that doesn't mean that it isn't the previous capture
medium. The question isn't how many film cameras still exist, the
important question is - at what rate is the number of digital cameras
increasing every six months, and how does that compare to the number of
film cameras being sold?

As to the Nikon F6 - Yes indeed, it is due out - and I will place money
on the fact that Nikon will, within 12 months of the introduction of the
F6, announce a digital back for it - probably a full-frame digital back
as they don't have one yet. No major camera company - other than Leica -
will introduce a pro film camera that is not also a digital camera. For
Gds sake, Nikon F5s and Canon EOS1ns are being virtually given away
these days.

Another sign of the ascendency of digital is the printers that Epson and
Canon are now churning out for the home market that crank out 4x6s at
apx .$29 a piece - just pop in your CF card, or hook up your camera, and
print away - no computer necessary, no knowledge of photoshop necessary.
Your own "60 minute" photolab in on your own kitchen table.

Yes, the reality is that film is now the domain of hobbiests, a small
number of documentary photographers and some art photographers. Kids
aren't buying film point and shoots now Mark - they're buying digital
P&Ss and camera cell phones.