Subject: [Leica] Summilux vs. Summicron
From: bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen)
Date: Tue Nov 9 07:18:34 2004

Hi, Seth - I have said many times that I suspect there will be film
around during our life-times. The fact that Kodak and Fuji will continue
to manufacture film is hardly surprising, given the number of film
cameras out there.

Far more telling however - and even I find it astonishing - is your
friend's experience. That is the reality.

Beyond that, digital appeals top far more than editors and P&S
throw-away freaks. In fact, many editors have been resisting digital -
particularly magazine editors. Digital doesn't appeal to people because
it symbolizes anything - it appeals to people because it gives the
overwhelming majority as good or better results than they got with film,
cheaper and faster than they got those film results. You seem to forget
that most people don't shoot 25 iso slide film with Leica Ms using the
latest aspheric lenses - they shoot with disposable film cameras
(speaking of throw-away) and with point-and-shoots costing less than
$100.

The real digital story is that digital delivers on the
never-quite-fulfilled promise of Polaroid - it's true instant
photography. And, as I mentioned in my response to Mark Rabiner, with
the arrival of the new Epson, Canon - and I just saw an ad in this
morning's paper for a similar product from Dell - people are being
offered their own 4x6 'labs' for about $150! If you're not a Leicaphile,
or someone who has a real need for film, or an artistic interest in it,
why would you want film when you can have a $150 appliance at home that
for $.29 a print cranks out 4x6s every bit as good or better than the
4x6s you got at the corner lab - that were often pretty crappy, dust
covered, and scratched?

As to shooting film and scanning - which I did for about five years,
yes, it's a great way to go if you want to shoot film. I still do it on
occasion, and I'm sure I will continue to do it for some time to come.
It does not, however, offer many of the benefits of digital that go
beyond cost and speed - but those sure are huge, important benefits of
digital.

I think that those of you for whom money is less of a concern than it is
for most people greatly underestimate the importance of cost in this
film-digital equation. I shoot professionally, but when it comes to my
personal shooting, cost is an enormous part of the equation; I have to
think about my son's college tuition, and all my other expenses, when I
shoot for myself. And digital allows me to totally ignore the cost part
of photography - I can carry a camera with me all the time and shoot my
brains out - without spending a penny. I am definitely shooting more now
that I am shooting digital than I was shooting when I was primarily
using film. And the more I shoot for myself, the better my photography
for clients gets - and the more my digital bw work looks like my film bw
work. ;-)

Yes, Seth, film will be around as long as we will - but with every
passing year it will become more and more exotic and, I suspect, more
expensive. Just as the price of digital storage and printing is
dropping, and will continue to drop up to a certain point, so the cost
of film and processing it will continue to rise.

If you like film, shoot it. Enjoy it. Revel in it.  But don't allow your
personal enjoyment to keep you from seeing the reality that we are
living through one of those major moments in the technical history of
photography in which the medium of photography moves from one form of
image capture and storage to another.

B. D.