Subject: [Leica] OT: press freedom?
From: locke at straylight.ca (Greg Locke)
Date: Thu Oct 28 04:03:55 2004

Why would it surprise you?

Have you not been reading about the new laws restricting photography? People
being detained, arrested, threatened.

Last week a Canadian journalist (and everyone else on the plane) was taken
off an international flight intransit from Sydney to Vancouver on a fuel
stop in Hawaii, photographed and finger printed them.

What about the newspapers that are threatened and boycotted (by members and
supporters and a particular political party) because of of editorials they
write.
Happened in Texas last month.

Web servers being siezed by federal police.

Reporters being detained at political conventions without charge ...just to
keep them out of the way for a few hours.

...and you can fill a web server with the litany of verbal assaults coming
from religious and politcal groups in the USA.  It's a pretty ugly
environment for working journalists.

So, yes, RSF is pretty accurate.

This is a discussion that can't avoid being political. Because its
politicans that create the environment which restrict press freedom.  And
its not just press freedon but civil freedoms in general. Unfortunetly in
the USA  ....and Canada!  There are those who think this is OK and support
restrictions on civil and constitutional rights.

So unless you are prepared to go down that road......

Greg Locke
St. John's, Newfoundland
http://blog.greglocke.com
Independent journalism from