Subject: [Leica] W--I--D--E Portraits
From: locke at straylight.ca (Greg Locke)
Date: Thu Oct 21 12:53:21 2004

Feli,

You are, of course, right ...and needless to say, placement of the subject
is critical.  One foot out of place and it won't work.

The point of using a wide lens in portraiture is to give context to the
subject.
It is borne from editorial and documentary photography more than "painterly"
classical portraits.

When a lot of corporate clients started hiring editorial shooters for
corporate and "annual report" work, due to the less static and more fluid
and dynamic style the "commercial" photographers, the style carried over.

Here is a small example http://www.straylight.ca/vic_young.htm

...and I think I need to rescan all the picture on this site now ....

If I recall (it was a few years ago) this was shot with a Leica and
definitly Fujichrome 100 in mixed light.
Daylight from the windows.
Flourescent from behind and overhead
Tungstun in the background
...and a Speedotrons to take out the shadows.

Here is another. Vertical this time and with extra head space for magazine
cover.

http://www.straylight.ca/latest.htm

I LOVE a lighting challenge!

Greg Locke