Subject: [Leica] Say Hello to Hermes Leica -- THE Photog's FashionStatement
From: leicanikon at earthlink.net (Stephen Gandy)
Date: Thu Oct 14 13:09:16 2004

yeah Mason,

I make a lot of money by urging people to buy Leica before the prices go
drastically up, especially since I don't sell new Leica.

Leica is already moving to increase Leica MAP prices,  while at the same
time aggressively eliminating  the world wide Leica grey market to put
prices even higher. believe me now, or believe me later.    Probably
initiated under Cohn,  the move is in high gear now.  Hermes philosophy
and influence has taken over Leica.  While this is probably to be expected
of a largest stock holder, it is odd to me that the other 70% (?) of the
stockholders don't speak up and stop the ride over the cliff.   If I read
Leica's announcement correctly, there are only TWO members on the Leica
Board of Directors.  Am I the only one that thinks that is ridiculous?

please read my original post again.  many people have commented on Leica's
troubles, including Leica's quarterly reports when they detail  layoffs.
with smart management moves I believe Leica is fully capable of surviving
with nice profit.   unfortunately the stubborn German management to this
point in time simply does not seem capable of  carrying out the changes in
today's marketplace which need to be done.   I  hope the new CEO does the
best possible job,  but if he follows the Hermes price strategy of
products for the rich elite instead of photographers, it will not
matter.   I wrote nothing  about CV being king of rangefinders, but  it
would be nice if you didn't  read into my words things I don't write.

on a different thread, while some people want to criticize Cohn, they seem
to over look that his tenure was responsible for the first two new Leica M
cameras since the M6 in 1984(the M6TTL was just a rehash).  both the M7
and MP are substantial accomplishments if you ask me.   one of  Cohn's
biggest faults, on the other hand, was  throwing  good money after bad
by  investing  in the no sales R system, while at the same time turning
down selling  R glass in Nikon AIS mount.

Stephen