Subject: [Leica] Leica donation to students
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sat Sep 25 19:33:21 2004

Karen Nakamura said:
Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica donation to students

> Now, can we have a raise of hands of people who would donate their
> Leicas to this program?  It sounds great on paper, but I don't think
> it'd fly.  You'd get a lot of Canons, Nikons, Minoltas, and Yashicas,
> but Leicas?<<,

Karen,
I gave an M6 to a young photo student who without question had what appeared
to be incredible photographic talent!

And for no other reason than I'd given a one day lecture / presentation to a
class of 60 photo students and this kid came up after the day was over,
showed me his portfolio and it was just the best damn portolio from a
student I'd seen in years. And he'd done it with a no name brand camera.

He said . "I might have done better if I had a "better camera." I explained
what I was looking at had little to do with the camera and everything to do
with his ability to see!  Because if he didn't see it in the first place, it
didn't matter what camera he had in hand, it wouldn't have made any
difference. But this kid had a God given talent to, "SEE". So I had an M6
sitting in the cabinet at home as I'd purchaesed 3 M7's,

So I asked him to drop by the office and I'd see what I could do to help
with a better camera.  So I gave him an M6 to help him along the way. :-)

Sometimes you just have to give back to the profession, what the profession
has given you! :-) And one never knows what can be done simply by giving a
helping hand to another human being!

ted