Subject: [Leica] new 1ds mark II
From: bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen)
Date: Sat Sep 25 06:46:36 2004

I'm not talking discounts here, Karen- What I was suggesting is that
they offer a body and lens at honest-to-God cost. In other words, it
wouldn't cost Leica one cent to do this, because they'd be offering this
to 'starving' young artists who aren't about to buy a new Leica M or M
lenses. And it would not only be offering the students the cameras for
far less money than any discount, but it would also be accomplishing two
very important things:

Create enormous goodwill among the students who benefit from the
program, and bring into the Leica fold future photographers who these
days might not ever own or use ANY film camera. (I may have mentioned
this before, but I was recently told by the photo editor of a 100K
circulation daily newspaper that one of the young photographers on his
staff had  never, in her life, ever souped a roll of film. Yes, she had
shot a little film, but she had never had what used to be as much a part
of the initiation into photography as the first kiss was an initiation
into the world of....

B. D.