Subject: [Leica] new 1ds mark II
From: mail at gpsy.com (Karen Nakamura)
Date: Sat Sep 25 17:14:11 2004

>I'm not talking discounts here, Karen- What I was suggesting is that
>they offer a body and lens at honest-to-God cost. In other words, it
>wouldn't cost Leica one cent to do this, because they'd be offering this
>to 'starving' young artists who aren't about to buy a new Leica M or M
>lenses. And it would not only be offering the students the cameras for
>far less money than any discount, but it would also be accomplishing two
>very important things:

If Leica isn't making money (and I have no reason to believe they
are), the "cost" of a Leica M7 is $2500....  I don't know why people
think that the "cost" of an item is its pure manufacturing cost.  If
Leica was giving away things at their manufacturing cost, I would be
very worried about the company.

Besides.... except for the super-rich (and professionals like Ted),
who do you know who has *bought* two *new*  M bodies to use?     99%
of those students* are not going to buy another Leica intheir
lifetime, even if the first one hooks them. And they're going to buy
their lenses used.

* I can speak from experience at teaching photography classes  at
college, that my average student budget for camera equipment is about
$200.  It might be $500 if they have a loving aunt/uncle.
Otherwise, they'd rather spend the money on an iPod or new laptop.
And if they did have $2000 to spend on camera equipment, I guarantee
they'd spend it on a Canon EOS 20D.  They'd be idiots to do
otherwise.  Most of the jobs out there that require photo skills now
require PhotoShop and digital editing skills, not silver halides.

Karen

--
Karen Nakamura

Replies: Reply from jbcollier at shaw.ca (John Collier) ([Leica] new 1ds mark II)