Subject: [Leica] new 1ds mark II - AND A True Senior Moment...
From: bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen)
Date: Tue Sep 21 13:10:32 2004

Right...Both the IIDx and the MarkII seem to me to offer the idea
combination of speed and resolution. But I might feel differently if I
did the kind of work that Doug does with his birds, while you want to
see the finest detail in the smallest feathers, or if I did studio work.
But I keep returning to the fact that my yardstick is a roll of tri-x
pushed to 800 asa. ;-)

True Senior Moment.
Son Ben, the skateboard shooter - pick up the current issue of
Skateboarder Magazine; the cover is his, and in addition to allot of
random stuff in the issue, he has one of the main stories, as writer and
shooter :-) - blew into town yesterday. He's in NYC for two weeks, and
was coming up here to accompany a skater to the skater's home town of
Chatham, on Cape Cod. So Ben calls from the road on the way up and
asks, "Hey, Dad, have you got a Nikon prime between about 35 and 50 I
can borrow. I've got to interview this guy and I want something smallish
to shoot him when I'm interviewing him." Well, the answer was no, so
then...The Big Question - the Moment of Moments. "Well, do you suppose I
could borrow and M with a 35 or 28? Ill pack it up really carefully and
ship it back to you from NY?"

OH GOD, MAKE ME SAY AND DO THE RIGHT THING. THIS IS "IT." This is The
Moment. Loan someone one of my Ms? Is he KIDDING? This is the kid who
lost his iPod within three days of getting it because it was in his
jacket pocket and the jacket was "lost" when he was in a bar with skater
friends. Loan him...an M?

"Sure," I said, choking back the tears and terror, "35 1.4 okay?"

Today, he is a man.

-----