Subject: [Leica] new 1ds mark II
From: feli at creocollective.com (Feli di Giorgio)
Date: Tue Sep 21 12:55:30 2004

On Tue, 2004-09-21 at 12:42, B. D. Colen wrote:
> First, a humble apology - You're right about the cards - I wasn't
> thinking of that ludicrous file size. On the other hand, no one is going
> to use that thing for PJ banging off shots machine gun style.

Yeah, 16.7 MP is great until you realize you need to store those files
somewhere. 8-)

> And when you start to talk about trusting one drive, etc, you seem to be
> assuming that someone is starting from absolute scratch - which I can't
> imagine someone going for this camera doing.

You're probably right, but believe it or not I have more film cameras
than I care to admit and would be starting from scratch. I use digital
cameras at work, but don't actually own one myself.
;-)

> And I'm comparing it to the Leica back because you made the comment
> about its price in comparison to the Leica.

> But hey, Feli, I'm not trying to get into a brawl with you over this or
> anything else. Frankly, I can't imagine why anyone would want this
> thing, unless they're now shooting 2 1/4 and mostly doing studio
> work...As far as I'm concerned, most of my work can be easily done with
> a 5-6 mgp camera. After that, it's all gravy.

Yeah, I think you're right that it's mostly a studio/event camera. I think
most PJ's would go for something like the D2x or 1d MarkII. If one did insist
on using the 1ds II for that type of work you would probably not always shoot
at the maximum resolution.

Feli

Replies: Reply from bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] new 1ds mark II - AND A True Senior Moment...)