Subject: [Leica] new 1ds mark II
From: feli at creocollective.com (Feli di Giorgio)
Date: Tue Sep 21 10:40:57 2004

Just out last night.

Canon 1ds mark II

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0409/04092104canoneos1dsmkii.asp

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/canoneos1dsmkii/

Full frame, 16.7MP, 4 fps.

It's huge (we had the original 1Ds back at my old job), but it's full frame
and unfortunately the only game in town. The Kodak is noisy over 200-400asa
and sllloooowwwww.

But $8000 bucks?? You can buy a small car for that kind of money.

Makes Leicas look cheap.

And here is another question. The RAW files this thing puts out are HUGE.
50MB at full resolution. Think about this:

36 exp x 50MB = 1800mb (1.8GB) of storage.

Thats a lot of a space for the equivalent of a roll of 35.

I looked a some of the test frames on the Canon site and they are quite
spectacular, but frankly nothing you couldn't do with modern Leica glass
and slidefilm. And it wouldn't have the Bayer pattern smear.

http://www.canon.co.jp/Imaging/eos1dsm2/eos1dsm2_sample-e.html

Feli

Replies: Reply from abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge) ([Leica] new 1ds mark II)
Reply from bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] new 1ds mark II)