Subject: [Leica] new 1ds mark II - TRUE file sizes
From: reddawn at singnet.com.sg (David Teo Boon Hwee)
Date: Sun Sep 26 05:36:31 2004

Hi Feli

the file sizes u gave for the new 1Ds Mk II are wrong. My Canon 10D can
shoot a RAW file which will expand out in my RAW converter to a 36 mb,
16 bit TIFF file. This does not of course mean that every shot takes up
36 mb of space in my flash cards. in fact, each RAW file is only about
4-5 mb, depending on ISO.

I did a little digging around and discovered that Canon has released a
PDF of information on the new 1Ds Mk II here:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/public_files/Canon_1Ds_MarkII-WS.pdf

According to this PDF:

File Size (on CFcard):
JPEG:
(1) L(Large): Approx. 5.5MB (4992 x3328)
(2) M1 (Medium1): Approx. 3.2MB (3600 x2400)
(3) M1 (Medium2): Approx. 2.6MB (3072 x 2048)
(4) S(Small): Approx. 1.9MB (2946 x1664)

RAW: Approx. 14.6MB (4992 x 3328)

JPEG quality: can be set from 1 (min. quality, max. compression) to 10
(max.  quality, min. compression).

If you shoot a RAW file, it takes up about 14.6 MB on ur CF card, but
expands to a ~90 mb TIFF, 16 bit image in photoshop if you require that
level of quality.
if you are shooting in JPEG, the file sizes are much smaller (and
depends on the compression you desire), so you can still shoot at 16.7
megapixels at the JPEG setting and get a 5.5 mb file in you CF card.

How come nobody mentioned the fact that the 1Ds Mk II can use Leica R
lenses, and has a focusing screen much brighter than those of the D60,
10D, 300D etc. Hence it is a good replacement for your Leica R cameras,
plus, you can still use Canon lenses if you so desire! :)

Boon Hwee

Replies: Reply from feli at creocollective.com (Feli di Giorgio) ([Leica] new 1ds mark II - TRUE file sizes)
Reply from mail at gpsy.com (Karen Nakamura) ([Leica] new 1ds mark II - TRUE file sizes)
Message from feli at creocollective.com (Feli di Giorgio) ([Leica] new 1ds mark II)