Subject: [Leica] 1.5GB in a shirt pocket IPOD! aaaaaaaaaaaccccccccccckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
From: jonathan at openhealth.org (Jonathan Borden)
Date: Mon Sep 13 05:41:51 2004

Bryan Caldwell wrote:

> Ted,
>
> You confirm my suspicions.
>
> A great music player, but not for picture storage.

Ted, nothing personal, but if you are having so much trouble with the
iPod controls, might I suggest that you stick to solid metal buttons
e.g. the M3 style. In terms of computerized thingies, it is generally
ack'd that the iPod is as intuitive as it gets :-))

(my advice is to stick it into a case where you won't accidently hit
the controls).

Now the iPod, aside from its music output chip, is basically a 20/40 Gb
battery powered  harddrive attached to a firewire port.

If the transfer rate of the Belkin card reader is slow, it must either
be a problem of the cardreader, not intrinsic to the iPod, as iTunes
can stuff it full of digital files fairly quickly.

In terms of draining the battery during transfers, this is how to
_entirely_ avoid it:

Buy a _powered_ firewire hub (~$50-60). Plug the firewire port from the
cardreader into the hub, and connect the firewire hub to the iPod
(using the iPod cable). What this will do is actually _charge_ the iPod
during the card downloads. This way you can download a bunch of cards
into the iPod in a hotel room, etc.

Again, the iPod is basically a battery powered small form factor
harddrive, so it is what it is as far as storing image files. At the
level of _file transfer_ the iPod knows nothing about the difference
between a TIFF and an AIFF.

Jonathan

(waiting for something better than the Belkin which sounds broken to me
if it is really this slow, but something I'd probably recommend to a
someone who needs to travel light i.e. really wants to avoid lugging a
laptop into the field, and who has used up all their cards.)