Subject: [Leica] re: NYPD republicans?
From: scott at adrenaline.com (Scott McLoughlin)
Date: Fri Sep 10 12:51:43 2004

Buzz,

You are right.

The point of my photo-tale was that this woman clearly
was NOT a Nazi or anything. She was a nice lady and a
shutterbug herself.

The point was that while she was giving me a hard time about
taking photos with my new (to me) Leica gear on a regular
urban street, she wasn't well equipped to do this job and wasn't
even quite sure what her job was in this case. In another
instance earlier this year, I had a security guard guy tell me that
I was on private property when I was on Federal public property.
Sheesh.

And in this case, this wasn't her fault, IMHO. It was a fault
of day-in-and-out public administration. Train the public
servants, publish a pamphlet with the laws clearly stated,
verify that I'm a US citizen and then leave me alone - or
whatever.

 From my own experiences and what I keep reading online,
we've got lower-level public servants hassling amateur photogs
and tourists all over this country and most of these otherwise
decent public employees probably have no idea exactly what
they're doing, or what they're supposed to do or not do, or
how to quickly and easily resolve a non-situation.

This is a problem that can be fixed. IMHO, it's not a partisan
issue, but it's an important one.

Unlike some unfortunate others, I've managed to avoid any
really unpleasant conflicts. Still, while I'm a level headed guy,
this kind of thing rattles the nerves, especially when it happens
over and over again.  I'm a guy who has never even had a
speeding ticket (really), sponsored local charitable events in
the past, and well, you get the idea.

Still, yesterday, walking in my own neighborhood, I just
couldn't  help but look over my shoulder when I heard a
siren . I couldn't shake it off.  It's just wrong.

It sure takes alot of the fun out of using my lovely Leica gear.

Scott