Subject: [Leica] Anchell's darkroom books: which is which ?
From: durling at cox.net (Mike Durling)
Date: Wed Sep 8 20:29:16 2004

For some reason I prefer the Darkroom Cookbook over the second book.
Darkroom is in it's second edition so has some newer material in it.  I
was a little disappointed in the film developing book because it didn't
really add too much for me.  I also found that some of the development
times in the index were wrong.

I went through a period where I tried a bunch of developers.  I finally
standardized on good ol D-76, but mixed from scratch using the original
formula.  He says it is better than the pre-packaged stuff and it seems
to be although I can't quantify the difference.  I do notice that if you
agitate tri-X, in the real D-76 1:1, once a minute you do get edge
effects which some have claimed are impossible with modern films.  In
any case it produces good tones and fine grain, and the negatives scan
nicely.

Mike D