Subject: [Leica] MORE THAN... R.I.P. ILFORD
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun Sep 5 19:02:18 2004

On 9/5/04 5:27 PM, "robertmeier@usjet.net" <robertmeier@usjet.net> typed:

> Ted,
> When you set the Digilux 2 in B&W mode, does the electronic viewfinder
> change to B&W?   Does the screen on the back change to B&W?
> Bob
>
>> As I discovered about setting the Digilux 2 in "shoot B&W only" and the
>> excellent results I'm getting with this mode, I'm more than pleasantly
>> surprised at the quality.

I'd think perhaps that there might be an advantage image wise of shooting in
black and white digital in camera mode. But I'm hoping that's not wishful
thinking on my part.

There are people on this list who understand the electronics of all this and
I wish they'd clue us in. Like Peter Klein or Henning Wulff comes to mind.
Inquiring LUGnuts want to know!

I don't think that even if you were a hard core black and white guy/gal it
would get old processing every image into black and white with channels.
You'd end up using the same setting 99 percent of the time I'd think.

And that setting might easily not be all that different from a black and
white shooting in camera default as they tend to go a little green sensitive
in the first place. I know at least that's how its set up if you just go
from RGB to greyscale mode in Photoshop. The green is favored so you'd get
more of a chance for tone in the sky, slightly accentuated fleshtones,
(assuming zit free and few broken capillaries and no poison ivy), and
foliage lightened which there is generally a need for.

And I'd assume you'd get three times more shots on a roll.
This, I noticed way back, is not why they call Tri-X Tri-X.
Nor does it mean you have to try three times as hard to get a good shot.

But I did think for the longest time it meant there were there different
grain sizes. Which in a way might have been almost true. At least on a
conceptual level. Which according to some is much more "real".

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon
http://rabinergroup.com/