Subject: [Leica] INCORRECTLY R.I.P. ILFORD
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sun Sep 5 15:33:30 2004

Jesse Hellman said:
> But IS the market empty, Dan? While B & W film and darkroom products may
> be heading in the direction of art and hobby photographers very quickly
> there still may be enough to support a few streamlined companies if with
> no research for the future. <<<<<<<<

If for a moment can we imagine all this "demise of film and film
manufacturers" as a kind of conversation between painter artists about 80 -
100 years ago as film was about to supposedly.............. "eliminate art,
paint, brushes and whatever else goes along with putting oils to canvas?" It
didn't happen even though there was much hand wringing!

>>While B & W film and darkroom products may be heading in the direction of
art and hobby photographers very quickly <<

Of course in the fast moving communication and marketing world of today it's
different with digital, but I think as pointed out, there will be smaller
companies take up the slack left by Ilford, Kodak, Fuji, Agfa whomever.
Simply because there will be many millions of folks who still wish to use
film even though they may have a half dozen digital cameras in their back
pocket.

>>art and hobby photographers <<<<

As we know when a corporation decides to shut down, sometimes employees who
know they can still produce the products, buy out the departments of the
company they know can still operate produce (film) and still make a fairly
good income from it.

>>art and hobby photographers <<<<.........................  film
requirements come to mind again!

Even though I never thought I'd see the day I'd be excited about digital and
pooh poohed it as nothing more than a fad gadget and "Instant gratification
WOW factor of an instant image." I find today after playing / working with
the Canon G5 first, now extensively with a Digilux 2 and it's amazingly
excellent zoom lens, I'm becoming completely won over to digital. No not
completely! Not quite yet. Very close indeed. ;-)

However, I must say, as others have, "I'll never do digital as I'm a film
kinda guy forever and ever more!" ;-)  We as human beings do change our
minds and ways! Besides using 3 M7's and Leica glass while doing my
photography and producing a new book, I'd find it very difficult to go digi
something completely.

Now three M type digitals and I think I could go digital in a heart beat!
:-)

ted

Message from bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] R.I.P. ILFORD)
Message from rangefinder at screengang.com (Didier Ludwig) ([Leica] R.I.P. ILFORD)