Subject: Re. [Leica] Conformity in Athens NOW BEING A SHOOTER!
From: scott at adrenaline.com (Scott McLoughlin)
Date: Tue Aug 31 00:23:56 2004

Putting all one's gear on a signature is kind of silly, but
I'd excuse folks who are all excited about their new camera.
Especially for youngsters, a new camera can be a real "prize
possession."

OTOH, I do appreciate when folks annotate their online photo
posts with information about the lens, film, aperture/shutter
setting and what not.  If it doesn't matter, it doesn't bother me
one bit. But other times, you see a particular "look" and that
might interest me in trying out a different film or something.
It can be educational. Also, if I'm considering lens options,
it's great to be able to search different sites and find pics
taken with different lenses.

In other product categories folks are psyched about the products
they own or use. Think Mac fanatics or AMD chip fans in
computers. Or Mercedes or "your-brand-goes-here" fans in cars.
Or Gibson or Fender players in guitars. Nothing special about
camera lovers in this regard.

I think gear-headedness in general is pretty harmless, with the
caveats that (1) good gear doesn't make you good and (2) at
the extremes gear-chasing can make one constantly frustrated
and very, very broke :-)

Scott
Equipment not listed in this signature.