Subject: [Leica] Chandos, How Could You!!!!
From: cmbrow at wm.edu (Chandos Michael Brown)
Date: Fri Aug 27 06:40:11 2004

Hardly gibberish, Marc:

"aetat, aet
abbreviation of aetatis, abbreviation of anno aetatis suae, 'in the year
of his or her age'; aged."

This usage is so common among early modern and modern portraitists and
engravers as to require no footnote.  See, for example:

http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/mtjhtml/algonquian.html

I don?t pretend to be a classicist, but I've encountered this
abbreviation in so many eighteenth-century images, manuscripts, and
texts that I'm entirely comfortable in reproducing it, your derision
notwithstanding; I will confess, though, that I found Daniel's little
lesson enlightening.

Cheers