Subject: [Leica] Community Photo Project ideas
From: cmbrow at wm.edu (Chandos Michael Brown)
Date: Thu Aug 26 11:03:45 2004

Chris,

I founded with my colleague Arthur Knight something called "The
Williamsburg Documentary Project," which is just now getting off the
ground.  Our purpose is to capture the "other" Williamsburg, the life,
experiences, and material circumstances of the place separate from that
Disneyland without rides that is the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation.
I won't go on at length about this, but we're taking a thematic approach
toward a project that we envision unfolding over many years.  For
instance, at present, we're collecting material related to "entertaining
Williamsburg": oral histories, documents, photographs, and so on that
document shot houses, movie theatres, bands, church choirs, you name it.
>From this we'll move on to "Feeding Williamsburg,"  "Work in
Williamsburg," "Worship in Williamsburg," "Business in Williamsburg,"
and so on.  Our chronological range runs from the early twentieth
century (prior to the restoration) to the present.

I can imagine that some variation of this approach might help to focus a
community based photo project.  In effect, you (I strongly urge a
community- based advisory committee) could devise few themes and
'assign' them to various participants.  The assignments might include
oral history or interviews as well as photographs.  This has the
advantage of superimposing a kind of narrative structure that
automatically lends coherency to the final exhibit, which, with the aid
of succinct wall labels, would tell a kind of story about the community.