Subject: [Leica] Another reason to hate Canon.
From: attinasi at mac.com (Marc Attinasi)
Date: Sat Aug 21 22:38:10 2004

 From my casual observance of the developments in digital SLR's over the
past few years, I'd say that the full 35mm frame size will not be in
the consumer-priced SLR offerings - ever. It seems that the development
of more short focal length lenses is proving to be a more prudent
model, and now it seems like every 'hybrid' SLR system is coming out
with very short 'digital-only' lenses that do not cover the full 35mm
frame but provide the field of view that people want.

My best guess is that large sensors are just too expensive to produce
and, in general, consumers don't care enough IF they can get a 12mm
lens for their 1.6x sensor - at a reasonable price.

As for fast primes that are affordable and compact, I'd look to the
non-hybrid Olympus E system for that. They have taken the purist
approach (easy for them since their SLR system was tragically allowed
to die some years ago). Their optics are designed FOR the smaller 4/3
sensor, and they will likely be the first to offer fast primes
providing the field of view that traditional 35mm shooters enjoy -
hopefully they will live up to their promise of smaller lenses too; all
decent 35mm 1.4 lenses are HUGE, not to mention the fact that we are
wasting 80% of the value of that lens on a smaller sensor, where the
corners matter not. Personally, I'd love to get a compact 18mm f2 for
my Canon DSLR, even if it was only for use on the digital EOS bodies.
The lack of fast wide angles is my biggest complaint about the current
state of DSLR systems.

Cheers!
- marc