Subject: [Leica] LUG membership, "A Waiting for Go/Dig" issue.
From: grduprey at rockwellcollins.com (grduprey@rockwellcollins.com)
Date: Mon Aug 16 07:42:12 2004

Been gone all last week.  In reply to Mark, Leica Cameras and glass are all
I use, OK, I do have a CV 35/1.7 lens.  However I use both my M and R
cameras when I get the chance to shoot pics.  The Nikon F3 is the one which
sits on the desk at home.  i plan on getting the Digi back for the R, when
the pocket book is full enough.

Gene

|---------+-------------------------------------------------------->
|         |           "Joel E. Anderson" <joelmail@mchsi.com>      |
|         |           Sent by:                                     |
|         |           lug-bounces+grduprey=rockwellcollins.com@leic|
|         |           a-users.org                                  |
|         |                                                        |
|         |                                                        |
|         |           08/09/2004 07:26 PM                          |
|         |           Please respond to Leica Users Group          |
|         |                                                        |
|---------+-------------------------------------------------------->

>----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |

  |       To:       Leica Users Group <lug@leica-users.org>
              |
  |       cc:
              |
  |       Subject:  Re: [Leica] LUG membership, "A Waiting for Go/Dig"
issue.              |

>----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

This almost sounded like Dylan Thomas there towards the end..... :)

At 06:53 PM 8/9/2004, you wrote:
>I do think it was the digital thing which has widened the gap between
Leica
>use and Leica conversation on the LUG and in the real world.
>Some of us are bound to feel a bit sheepish about what we talk like we are
>user of and what we really do use.
>And have found it hard to have our hearts and minds in a film-in-Leica-M
>place...
>When we are in a CompactFlash-in-DSLR grove.
>
>Of course the vast majority of our usually over a thousand people list are
>lurkers as we only mainly hear from a couple a dozen.
>
>We all have an interest in Leica cameras.
>But that has been becoming a nostalgic interest.
>Even before the digital thing hit a couple of years ago.
>Even before that we we having fun talking about the gear we really no
longer
>used. Not me but I think quite a few of us...
>Our Leica M with a lens or two were sitting on the shelf, maybe behind
glass
>and when we go out shooting it's with a film point and shoot.
>
>Now they can't sell a film point and shoot anywhere in the world to nobody
>no how.
>The shooting is being done with digital point and shoots.
>
>But on this list are we are at very least photo enthusiasts the move I
think
>went to digital SLR's. With a non Leica digital point and shoot on the
side.
>For our purse.
>
>We'd all have a lot more to say about Leica use if we used our Leicas. How
>many of us do? It's a rare bird indeed...
>
>How many of us have been selling off our Leica glass and bodies to get
Canon
>or Nikon micro motor microchip extravaganzas?
>Not me but I think one or two of us.
>And one or two of "us" have come on to the list only for that purpose.
>Those people would be gleefully covered with tar and lit on fire put on a
>post and run outa town.
>
>I think I am seen as one of the more die hard Leica fanatics on the list
and
>I'd be posting a lot more if I'd shot with my Leicas in the past several
>months...
>or years but I really haven't.
>Maybe just a few with my Digilux point and shoot.
>The one that looks like an Argus.
>Or a Brownie Instamatic 100.
>My Leica system which is for the most part Leica M glass has sat like a
>wonderful investment filled with burgeoning potential for well over a year
>not doing much. In a plastic pelican case.
>But it has not been completely idol.
>It's been WAITING.
>Which I believe this whole list has been actively doing.
>WAITING FOR EPSON.
>Waiting for the Epson R1D1.
>Waiting for Leica R Modul or Leica M body..
>Waiting for who ever and when ever is going to make our Leica M or R
systems
>come alive again with little yeses and no's or zeros and ones.
>And THAT is going to make for some real LUG conversation and of the on
topic
>kind.
>The Epson has been spotted in Tokyo and with it's price falling.
>
>The R back is due to come out by the end of the year which is just less
than
>a half a year away.
>If it does come out anywhere near on time and if it "hits" like a
Hollywood