Subject: [Leica] LUG membership, "A Waiting for Go/Dig" issue.
From: bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen)
Date: Mon Aug 16 08:08:58 2004

Mark Rabiner wrote interestingly and at length on this topic:
>I do think it was the digital thing which has widened the gap between
Leica
>use and Leica conversation on the LUG and in the real world. Some of us

>are bound to feel a bit sheepish about what we talk like we are
>user of and what we really do use.

However, I think there's something a bit weird about all this "waiting."
Either we owned - and still owned - Leica equipment because we are
photographers, whether photographing professionally, photographing for
our own enjoyment, or both - or we owned it because we were poseurs. If
we are photographers, then the photography is primary and the equipment
is secondary, and we aren't sitting waiting for anything. We may be
hanging onto M glass because we are awaiting a time when we can use that
glass on a digital rangefinder of some sort. But we are also continuing
to photograph, whether with other brands of digital equipment, or with
our Lecia film cameras. But if we are simply frozen on the sidelines,
unwilling to make "compromises" which involve using equipment that
produces images not up to Leica quality, we aren't photographers, we're
poseurs. Because if what matters to us is photography, then we are
committed to the idea that an image captured with a Holga - or a cell
phone camera - is better than an image not captured. ;-)

B. D.

Hanging onto the glass and Awaiting a digital rangefinder body while
continuing to photograph

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] LUG membership, "A Waiting for Go/Dig" issue.)
Reply from scott at adrenaline.com (Scott McLoughlin) ([Leica] LUG membership, "A Waiting for Go/Dig" issue.)