Subject: [Leica] decline in LUG membership
From: joelmail at mchsi.com (Joel Anderson)
Date: Tue Aug 10 09:43:45 2004

The best advice I have gotten, and it seems to be correct in my experience,
is that all the consumer cameras are in the same boat.  You can compare
them with each other, but there is no comparison with a DSLR.  Compare the
300D with the D70 or D100 or 10D or whatever.  8 MPs is still sitting on a
tiny sensor.  A quickie analogy, though perhaps not the most accurate, is
the differences in resolution  of various 35mm films.  Some (tech pan, for
example), give great detail, yada yada, as compared with others---but you
can't compare any of them to a medium format negative, where even a
relatively yucko film will still blow it away.

In other words, I expect your 8MP powershot to have more resolution that a
4MP powershot, but neither to be in the same league as a DSLR, even with
significantly fewer MPs.

Replies: Reply from george at imagist.com (George Lottermoser) ([Leica] decline in LUG membership)
Message from dpost at triad.rr.com (Dan Post) ([Leica] decline in LUG membership)