Subject: [Leica] silver prints
From: timatherton at theedge.ca (Tim Atherton)
Date: Tue Aug 3 14:29:07 2004

> I was up at the Getty Museum this weekend visiting one of their photo
> exhibits. One thing that always strikes me is the quality of the
> vintage b/w silver prints. They are incredible lush and rich. Their
> tonal scale is to die for with a creamy smooth tonal scale all the
> way from the shadows to the highlights. I've never seen a modern
> print that looks remotely as good. So, what is it? Certainly the
> uncoated lenses (taking and enlarging) may have something to do
> with "the glow", but my guess is it's the paper. True? False? Maybe?
> Does anyone still make anything even remotely like that today?

They may also have been printed on one of many silver chloride contact
papers, the only one of which that is still around being Kodak Azo (which I
am just beginning to experiment with) - Azo in Amidol will give that long
tonal scale and sense of depth, with black blacks and detailed highlights.

tim

Replies: Reply from feli at creocollective.com (Feli di Giorgio) ([Leica] silver prints)