Subject: [Leica] silver prints
From: feli at creocollective.com (Feli di Giorgio)
Date: Mon Aug 2 14:44:09 2004

I was up at the Getty Museum this weekend visiting one of their photo
exhibits. One thing that always strikes me is the quality of the
vintage b/w silver prints. They are incredible lush and rich. Their
tonal scale is to die for with a creamy smooth tonal scale all the
way from the shadows to the highlights. I've never seen a modern
print that looks remotely as good. So, what is it? Certainly the
uncoated lenses (taking and enlarging) may have something to do
with "the glow", but my guess is it's the paper. True? False? Maybe?
Does anyone still make anything even remotely like that today?

Thanks,

Feli

Replies: Reply from dpost at triad.rr.com (Dan Post) ([Leica] silver prints)
Reply from timatherton at theedge.ca (Tim Atherton) ([Leica] silver prints)