Subject: [Leica] silver prints
From: dpost at triad.rr.com (Dan Post)
Date: Tue Aug 3 13:49:38 2004

Feli-
Most new fiber based papers I have used or looked at have Baryta (barium
sulphate)sizing between the emulsion and the paper. The result of this is
that-one, the paper substrate is a brighter white, so you get a greater
apparent contrast. Two, it prevents the emulsion from penetrating the paper
fibers.

The older papers without the sizing will often have a 'creamy' look as they
have no artificial brighteners, and since they are not sized the emulsion
seeps into the paper during manufacturing, giving a greater 'depth' to the
image, literally.

The obvious downside of this was that with the old papers, you needed
several minutes of fixing in each bath, and to thouroughly rid the print of
spent fixer, you needed to wash the print for at least an hour. (Look at
some of the darkroom instructions from a photo How-To book from the
thirties!~)

If anyone is making such a paper, it must be one of the makers like Seagull,
or if the FOMA folks make a paper, they may still be doing the old style
paper. From the Tech Spec sheets of Agfa, they apparently use baryta in even
their fiber based paper. Ilford, I haven't checked. It might be an
interesting quest, short of coating your own!

Best,
Dan