Subject: [Leica] Disposal of chemistry
From: dpost at triad.rr.com (Dan Post)
Date: Mon Aug 2 09:33:05 2004

Adam-
Again I may be late, but here is what I know!
Everyone knows that photographic chemicals are unstable- developer even in
tightly closed containers goes 'bad'- even fixer breaks down inside the
bottle.
The same thing happens when the chemicals are put into the sewage system, or
even septic tank (if you don't over do it!)- they break down. Used fixer can
pose a problem, but only if you are running a commercial lab and are not
using a silver recovery system.
I worked in a lab, and the MSDS's that Kodak provided indicated that the
current C-41 film chemicals, and the RA-4 paper chemicals are such that if
used according to instructions pose no hazard at all to the user or the
environment. They are largely organic substances that break down very
quickly in the environment. I called our local water and sewer department to
find out what went into the water here- they actually add a certain number
of grains of hardness to help preserve the plumbing, and I asked a blout
photochemicals at the waste treatment plant- they said they are not a
problem- the big problem is run-off of chemical fertilizers from lawns, and
illegally dumped motor oil that gets in to the waste water stream!
Have no fear- you are not a bad citizen just because you dump out your
piddling little dribbles of chemicals! In the bigger picture, you are okay!
Dan