Subject: [Leica] Totally OT question now Kodak questions
From: dorysrus at mindspring.com (Don Dory)
Date: Sun Aug 1 07:58:09 2004

Actually, I think that Kodak over market researches their products.

The Tmax line started with we need much finer grain and less silver and
ended up with a relatively hard to process product.  In the hands of an
expert, say John Sexton, the films are flawless.  In the hands of the
usual lab or duffer the highlights are blown, fixation is probably
incomplete, and the grain is higher in the midtones on up as they are
overexposed.

E-6 films are another case of cluelessness.  Back in the dark ages,
Ektachrome was simply blue unless you shot at sunset because that was
the actual Kelvin.  Now you know what there are so many warming filters
in the used filter bin.  Agfa first and then Fuji brought out emulsions
that more closely represented what the eye saw and took major market
share.

When Kodak decided that Fuji had way too much professional market share
they brought out a long series of warmer emulsions.  Like Tmax, under
controlled conditions they were excellent, in the real world they were a
little too yellow or contrasty or dmax was weak.

If Kodak had just brought out a warm Kodachrome and worked on making
turn around quick they would still own this market.

In color print Kodak missed the move to higher speed emulsions.  When
Fuji concentrated on 400 and 800 ISO emulsions Kodak was still tweaking
Gold 100.
Now that it is almost too late, Kodak has brought out the Ultra line
which is pretty good stuff, probably better than the Fuji equivalent.
Unfortunately, they lost their dominance of the market and Wal-Mart puts
up the green stuff.

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com