Subject: [Leica] More RD-1now answers to Ted
From: dorysrus at mindspring.com (Don Dory)
Date: Sun Jul 25 12:52:16 2004

Ted,
Kisses you will have to see Irene; KISS see below.
A. Small sensors run "hotter" so when one pixel fires it can set off the
neighbors.  Therefore small sensors show more "grain" as the effective
ISO is turned up.  Like a poor quality stereo, as you turn up the gain,
the sound goes downhill.  Your point in A is obvious, if the chip is not
24X36 then your 50mm lens will magnify more and more as the chip gets
smaller and smaller.

B. Large sensors are much more expensive to make.  I think the industry
runs on 9" silicon wafers and you can visualize the difference in yield;
you get more sand in a glass than marbles.  What is not readily apparent
is that flaws appear in the chips so that one dead CCD can loose an
entire chip.

C. Larger sensors allow much better images at higher ISO's, currently
CMOS chips provide cleaner images than CCD chips, and larger sensors
allow the use of existing lenses with less loss of wide angle coverage.

D. Kodak, Olympus, and others are trying to standardize on a 4/3 chip
(about APS size) as a good compromise of yield in manufacture, good
performance at higher ISO's, compromise with effective DOF control, easy
translation on lens focal length (2X).  Nikon appears to be headed in
the same direction and Canon is having a blast thumbing their nose at
everybody with their full frame chip and their new 1.3X CMOS in the Mark
II that is producing stupendous images.

E. Panasonic appears to be spending some serious money in post
processing in-camera technology to take advantage of the image coming
off the Leica lenses up front.  The final image even after some "grain"
reduction is extremely good for the tiny sensor that they are using as
your experience proves.  I will repeat, tests by unbiased experts find
the image coming out of the D 2 is better than the one coming out of the
Olympus E1 at ISO's of 100.

I hope this helps.

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com