Subject: [Leica] OT - slide shows on DVD
From: mail at gpsy.com (Karen Nakamura)
Date: Thu Jul 1 07:46:37 2004

>I have been asked whether I can make some of my Leica photographs available
>on DVDs as slide shows to be shown on home TVs equipped with DVD players.
>Just thinking about file formats, resolution, aspect ratios, hardware, and
>authoring software gave me a headache. I don't have a DVD burner on my
>Win2000 but that is not an insurmountable obstacle. Does any LUGer have
>first hand experience with preparing slide shows on DVDs? I shall be
>grateful for reasoned and seasoned advice, especially regarding errors to
>avoid.

With Toast, it's just a drag and drop affair. I took some photos at a
friend's cancer benefit with my 10D. After it, I just dragged and
dropped them all into Toast. It had the option of making them into a
VCD or a DVD slideshow.

You can control overall parameters such as the time between all
slides, but not between individual slides. Toast doesn't have the
option for background music which was disappointing.

It did have the option to either have only the compressed NTSC format
images on the disc, or to also copy along the original high-quality
JPEGs. I opted to include the originals so that the guests could
print them out.

It all easily fit on a CD-ROM so I made it a VCD. Almost all recent
model DVD players can play VCDs easily.

Karen

--
Karen Nakamura