Subject: [Leica] Writing (was: writing going downhill etc)
From: n.wajsman at chello.nl (n.wajsman@chello.nl)
Date: Wed Jun 23 23:49:03 2004

In the late 80s I taught economics at a community college in Tampa and a
liberal arts college in St. Petersburg. Being young and stupid, I bravely
decided to forgo the traditional multiple choice tests and require the
students to write short answers to relatively easy questions and make the
occasional calculation with accompanying explanation. After the first
semester I had to abandon this and revert to the standard tests. The level
of writing of my students was such that it was in many cases impossible to
decipher what they meant--I was trying hard to find some grain of truth in
each answer so that I could give the person at least partial credit, but
after spending an inordinate amount of time grading 40 tests in this way and
calculating what I was earning per hour for this activity, I quickly decided
that stuffing 40 marked answer sheets into a machine was the only viable way
to do this.

Nathan