Subject: [Leica] Leica lenses on Canon DSLRs
From: rzartarian at snet.net (Roy Zartarian)
Date: Mon Jun 21 20:20:57 2004

Nathan

Quite by coincidence I just came inside from shooting some moths with a
Canon 10D and the 100/2.8 macro  - at night, focusing by flashlight and
setting the exposure manually.

Generally,  I must confess,  I set the dial to "A" for aperture
priority and let the brains inside the Canon body take over. My
fifty-seven year old eyes can focus adequately outdoors with the lens
stopped down about 4 stops.  For me the biggest problem was the 1.6
multiplier effect resulting from the size of the sensor.  To get the
equivalent of a 35mm focal length, I had to cart around the 19 Elmarit.
  I have nothing wider in my R holdings. Somewhat reluctantly, I will
admit that I do use a Sigma 15-30 zoom on the 10D as well with (gasp)
autofocus when I know I won't need a telephoto.

What I don't like about the camera is the clear glass viewing screen.
With a manual focus lens, the image simply doesn't pop into focus as it
would with an R body.

Roy