Subject: [Leica] Susan Sontag on Iraq Photos
From: bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen)
Date: Tue Jun 1 10:51:43 2004

The point some people seem to miss in all this is that, now that
eliminating WMDs is no longer being given as the cause for this war,
bringing American Democracy and values to the Arab world IS being given
as the rationale. So the question is this:

Is what went on at Abu Grahib an example of those values, or is it more
suggestive of the values of the people we were so anxious to remove from
power?

If it's the former, then we might as well fold our tents and go home; if
it's the later...then we might as well fold our tents and go home.

Pointing out that there have been worse violations of human rights
perpetrated by others, or even by us, at other times and in other
places, is hardly a defense of the behaviors being questioned.

B. D.