Subject: [Leica] Susan Sontag on Iraq Photos
From: phong at doan-ltd.com (Phong)
Date: Tue Jun 1 11:11:42 2004

B. D. Colen wrote:
> The point some people seem to miss in all this is that, now that
> eliminating WMDs is no longer being given as the cause for this war,
> bringing American Democracy and values to the Arab world IS being given
> as the rationale. So the question is this:

Speaking for myself, I would rather not switch topics.
The fact of the matter to me is that I was told the imminent
threat of WMD _was_ the reason we went to war with Iraq.
You switch topics, and you let the current administration
evade the fact that they _lied_ to us.  War is horror,
but we went to war for a lie and a gallon of gas ?

I hate to say this, but, Vietnam again, anyone ?  The
government lied to us about going to war.  I don't want us
to forget that.  I don't want them to forget that.

- Phong

P.S. I, for sure, know the dubious benefit of some attemots
to bring American Democracy to the 3rd world.  While
I cherish the American Democracy, I deplore the way
we very hypocritically use it as a shield for other gains.

Replies: Reply from bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] Susan Sontag on Iraq Photos)