Subject: [Leica] Leica newbie inquiry
From: rdcb37 at cyberone.com.au (Rick Dykstra)
Date: Thu May 27 18:34:31 2004

Hello Kevin,

congrats on your developing interest in Leica cameras and film.  Digi
is fine but film is special.

For photographing people I have found the M system to be just the
thing.  The ease of focussing, the clear view during the shot, ie, you
can tell easily if the subject blinked and you can see the flash go
off, if using one.  The framelines are there as a guide - get in close
as the neg will have more than the lines show in most cases except for
when using closest focus.

For critter shots, whether with tele lenses or macros, the R system is
the way to go.  And a tripod may be a necessary adjunct to your method.
  If you think you'll be getting serious in this respect, go straight
for the good stuff, such as a Gitzo carbon fibre tripod, Arca Swiss B2
or B1G ball heads and Really Right Stuff or Wimberley camera and lens
plates.

I have used M and R cameras simultaneously, hand held, on many
occasions and always experience sharper images at slow speeds with the
M.  That is, any speed below 1/60th.  With an M and reasonably good
technique, 1/15th is a viable speed with 35 or 50mm lenses, even for
important shots.  Below 1/15th, camera shake and subject motion is
going to be a factor, but might 'make' the image.

Enjoy!

Rick Dykstra.