Subject: [Leica] Documentary Photography Book Review
From: kitmc at acmefoto.com (Kit McChesney)
Date: Tue May 18 17:03:44 2004

We can debate all day long about how the Nazis could have been prevented
from coming to power. It was no surprise to those who saw it coming, and to
those who helped it along (what about Henry Ford and IBM?). If we had
leaders who weren't so reactive about everything, and weren't so cowardly
(think of all the appeasers who did not stand up to Hitler) we might have
avoided many things that only war could "solve" in the end, after all other
more reasonable means might have prevented. To argue that the only thing
that would have, or could have, stopped Hitler, was the war we ended up
with, is absurd to the point of insanity.

We haven't learned how to prevent anything. We are still operating in the
most primitive modes of being, flight and fight, rather than to use the
neocortex that we have evolved on the front end of our skulls to think of
better solutions to the problems of the world. Even our medical system is
based on the language and philosophy of warfare. We'd rather sit around and
eat pork rinds and then take anti-cholesterol drugs after we've poisoned our
bodies and not take responsibility for the sorry state of our health. The
world, its people, and everything on it is a single organism. Until we come
to a place where we can recognize that "they" is also "us," we'll continue
to dehumanize everyone who ain't "us" because we refuse to realize that but
for the grace of something, we could be "them." It's all very arrogant. As
for "sanity," I would say that most of the things our land is doing these
days would not, in most catalogues of human behavior, qualify for anything
remotely resembling sanity. Please!

Kit